Skip to main content

Let's talk as friends for a minute...

Hello!  I'm Karl Stern from the When It Was Cool website and probably half a dozen podcasts you may or may not listen to on a regular basis.  I'm just a normal guy with a normal family probably just like you.  In fact, this picture is my wife (Tonya from When It Was Cool) and I just hanging out in a giant chair at Jerry Lawler's restaurant on Beale Street in Memphis, TN.

Years (and years, and years) ago, I began writing a small little pro wrestling newsletter.  Eventually it grew into a larger pro wrestling newsletter called the DragonKing Press Newsletter all about wrestling history.  During that time I had a pretty good size pro wrestling website dealing with wrestling history and interviewing the stars we all grew up with.  Later, I merged all of that into Bryan Alvarez's fantastic F4WOnline.com website which later merged with Dave Meltzer's incredible Wrestling Observer, creating the best pro wrestling news and information site on the internet.

I still work there.  Bryan and Dave are great.  In fact, Bryan expanded my role into hosting another podcast called DragonKing Dark which deals with the paranormal, science, and mysteries.  That's all well and good and is probably plenty enough work for any normal man but my wife and I decided to try and "make it" on our own as well.

I did not want to do more pro wrestling, even though, DragonKingKarl.com was (and is) still active.  Tonya and I both enjoy retro stuff.  We, like a lot of people, often talk about what things were like when we were kids.  I loved Star Wars, G.I. Joe, comic books, action figures, and generally goofy stuff like that.  She liked Care Bears, My Little Pony, Alice in Wonderland and generally girly stuff like that.  We both enjoyed similar music, though my tastes were a little more heavy than hers.

So, we decided to launch a website and a podcast and the results are When It Was Cool.  I originally wanted to call it When It Was Fun because I wanted it to be all about fun but that URL was already taken and there was no trademark on "When It Was Cool" so I bought the URL and trademarked it.  Thus was born When It Was Cool.

My second goal was to start a podcast network much like Bryan has over at Wrestling Observer but I wanted mine to have some variety beyond wrestling.  So, we set up a way to help fund our website and pay the cost involved in the podcast storage, syndication, and the website hosting and substantial trademark fees.  I am happy to say that we now have that network.


That's a pretty solid line-up, if I do say so myself, and we are expecting to add one more show soon.

Now then, how do we fund this?  I decided from the start that we would not fund it with pop-up ads or auto-play videos.  We will fund this site from people who think it has value.  That what we are doing and plan to do has worth.  Not a membership pay-wall, but actual legitimate downloadable digital content.  That is why I went with Patreon.

Patreon allows us to upload a substantial amount of content that our supporters can download.  I have put up everything from hundreds of audio and podcasts to ebooks to digital comic books and magazines.  Many creators have used Patreon as a way to fund their projects solely through donations but we want to give you quality content for your support.  For everyone who is supporting us- thank you.

For everyone else, I sincerely hope you will consider supporting us.  We are a family trying to build something real, something good, something quality.  I am very proud of everyone who has put their support toward us, we do not take it lightly.  The gravity of your support is not lost on us at all.

As many of you know, I suffered through Stage 3 colon cancer a few years ago but I continued to work.  Tonya is an advocate for mental illness education because of her own personal experience (listen to the "Getting to Know the When It Was Cool family podcast special for more).  This website and podcasting network means the world to us and we hope you will consider supporting us on our project.  There is so much more to come.  You can start getting most of the downloadable content for just $5 a month.  That's less than one drive thru meal but it will mean a lot more to us than it will McBigBurger I can assure you.

Please take a look at all the downloadable content and consider supporting us - here.

Thank you,
Karl & Tonya from When It Was Cool

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Death to ads! Why When It Was Cool removed Amazon from our website.

If you listen to virtually any podcast you have heard the plugs over and over again - "Please use our links to buy through Amazon!"  For several years, way before we launched When It Was Cool, back when I was only doing the DragonKingKarl blog, I used Amazon ads.  I have never made significant money off of them.  I recently reviewed my Amazon payments for the last few years and found that, despite buying all my own products via my links, that I had earned virtually no money from their affiliate programs.

I decided today to, once and for all, kill the ads.  Aside from a few that will remain in the archives on individual article pages, I removed all of the them from the main page and will not be including them in future articles.  Why?


They were a waste of time for our website. Perhaps you might do well with them but they have never performed for us.  While they are easy to insert and easy to code but my time is better spent providing content for Patreon than wasting my time se…

Are you a fit for the When It Was Cool Podcast Network?

Hello podcast hobbyist! Recording a podcast is no problem -> just have a topic, record it, done!  Not so fast!  You need to upload it to a service to host it, then you need to get the word out, it helps if you have a website so you need to build that too.  Want it on iTunes? Well that's even more work... and you'll need art for that which conforms to their specifications.  Suddenly, the hobby isn't so "fun" anymore, it's more like work.
Check out our various Patreon levels.  If you are a podcast hobbyist who records just one show (maybe even less!) per month then maybe we can host it directly at When It Was Cool!  Maybe you want to get a little more serious about it and record more!  We have packages for that too. When you become a Patreon at a level that includes a podcast package, you not only get the HUNDREDS of digital downloads that we put on the feed (we think that alone is worth a membership) but you can also take advantage of our podcast hosting se…