Skip to main content

Back from Washington D.C.

Arlington National Cemetery at the Tomb of the Unknowns. 
The When It Was Cool family has safely returned from a great visit to Washington DC.  We were blessed with great weather and a smooth trip the whole way there.  Infamous DC traffic wasn't even that bad.  We hit all the sites you would expect such as Arlington National Cemetery where we not only got to see the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns but also two wreath changing ceremonies.  I should have video of that on our YouTube channel by the weekend.

All of the monuments and memorials on the National Mall were well worth seeing.  We will talk about some of our favorites when we record a new When It Was Cool Podcast sometime this week.  The biggest surprise of the trip was just how impressive the National Cathedral was.  We both loved the incredible building with it's Gothic architecture.  

I have lots of recording to do this week.  The July Classic Wrestling Marathon is almost here over at Wresting Observer and I am mixing the shows right now for it.  31 shows in 31 days!  Whew!  Hopefully it will bring some new visitors over to When It Was Cool.

It was nice to wake up to yet another new Patreon supporter this morning.  Once we hit 50 I am going to open up a new stream at iTunes where you can download all our free shows on one feed if you like.  That way you can get the When It Was Cool Podcast, Up Hill Both Ways, Wrestling With the Dawg, NoFriender Thrash Metal Show Podcast, and the new Champions at Heart podcasts all in with one iTunes subscription if you want.

Thank you again for checking out When It Was Cool.  I'll be working on audio all week so there probably won't be any new articles until the weekend.

Thank you!
Karl Stern

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's talk as friends for a minute...

Hello!  I'm Karl Stern from the When It Was Cool website and probably half a dozen podcasts you may or may not listen to on a regular basis.  I'm just a normal guy with a normal family probably just like you.  In fact, this picture is my wife (Tonya from When It Was Cool) and I just hanging out in a giant chair at Jerry Lawler's restaurant on Beale Street in Memphis, TN.

Years (and years, and years) ago, I began writing a small little pro wrestling newsletter.  Eventually it grew into a larger pro wrestling newsletter called the DragonKing Press Newsletter all about wrestling history.  During that time I had a pretty good size pro wrestling website dealing with wrestling history and interviewing the stars we all grew up with.  Later, I merged all of that into Bryan Alvarez's fantastic F4WOnline.com website which later merged with Dave Meltzer's incredible Wrestling Observer, creating the best pro wrestling news and information site on the internet.

I still work the…

Death to ads! Why When It Was Cool removed Amazon from our website.

If you listen to virtually any podcast you have heard the plugs over and over again - "Please use our links to buy through Amazon!"  For several years, way before we launched When It Was Cool, back when I was only doing the DragonKingKarl blog, I used Amazon ads.  I have never made significant money off of them.  I recently reviewed my Amazon payments for the last few years and found that, despite buying all my own products via my links, that I had earned virtually no money from their affiliate programs.

I decided today to, once and for all, kill the ads.  Aside from a few that will remain in the archives on individual article pages, I removed all of the them from the main page and will not be including them in future articles.  Why?


They were a waste of time for our website. Perhaps you might do well with them but they have never performed for us.  While they are easy to insert and easy to code but my time is better spent providing content for Patreon than wasting my time se…

Are you a fit for the When It Was Cool Podcast Network?

Hello podcast hobbyist! Recording a podcast is no problem -> just have a topic, record it, done!  Not so fast!  You need to upload it to a service to host it, then you need to get the word out, it helps if you have a website so you need to build that too.  Want it on iTunes? Well that's even more work... and you'll need art for that which conforms to their specifications.  Suddenly, the hobby isn't so "fun" anymore, it's more like work.
Check out our various Patreon levels.  If you are a podcast hobbyist who records just one show (maybe even less!) per month then maybe we can host it directly at When It Was Cool!  Maybe you want to get a little more serious about it and record more!  We have packages for that too. When you become a Patreon at a level that includes a podcast package, you not only get the HUNDREDS of digital downloads that we put on the feed (we think that alone is worth a membership) but you can also take advantage of our podcast hosting se…